Table of Contents
The usual suspects did not acquire household the honours at the 2023 JUNO Awards, offered to the winners at the opening night of the awards weekend on March 12, underscoring the depth of talent in Canada’s classical audio market.
Here’s a appear at the four classical music categories. The winners surface in daring.
Classical album of the calendar year (solo artist)
- Winner of the 18th Worldwide Fryderyk Chopin Piano Level of competition Warsaw 2021, Bruce Liu
- Prokofiev: Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1, David Jalbert
- La Zingarella: Through Romany Songland, Isabel Bayrakdarian
- Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, James Ehnes
- Fables, Philip Chiu
Philip Chiu has labored his way towards becoming just one of the country’s foremost pianists. The Montreal-based performer is familiar to Toronto levels by way of his lots of appearances on numerous stages. He is as very well known for his solo work as he is for his work with chamber ensembles, and other artists, like do the job with James Ehnes, Raphael Wallfisch, Patrice Fontanarosa, Regis Pasquier, and Matt Haimovitz, among the other individuals. Philip will be doing in this year’s Toronto Summer time Music Festival in many concerts.
Classical album of the year (substantial ensemble)
- Clara – Robert – Johannes: Lyrical Echoes, Canada’s National Arts Centre Orchestra, carried out by Alexander Shelley
- Handel: Messiah, HWV 56, Ensemble Caprice, Ensemble Vocal Arts-Quebec, done by Matthias Maute, showcasing Karina Gauvin
- Richard Strauss: Metamorphosen – Arvo Pärt: Symphonie No. 4, ‘Los Angeles,’ I Musici de Montréal, conducted by Jean-Marie Unitize
- Viola Borealis, Orchestre de l’Agora, executed by Nicolas Ellis, featuring Marina Thibeault
- Radiant Dawn: New music for Arrival and Xmas, The Elora Singers, performed by Mark Vuorinen
Led by soaring star conductor Nicolas Ellis, l’Orchestre de l’Agora (OA) is an group with a mission to use audio as a indicates of social change — along with, normally, modern repertoire. Maestro Ellis started the orchestra in 2013 to draw on abundant classical songs expertise among younger professionals in the Montreal area. OA recently won an Opus prize for Musical Function of the Calendar year for their June 2022 concert of Mahler’s 3rd.
Violist Marina Thibeault is an ATMA Classique recording artist as well as a sought after soloist and concert artist. She has carried out through Canada as well as internationally, and her recordings have been nominated for an Opus as well as ADISQ prizes in former yrs.
Classical album of the yr (modest ensemble)
- Nagamo, Andrew Balfour and musica intima
- Hemsi: Chamber Operates, ARC Ensemble
- Vagues et ombres, collectif9
- Early Italian Cello Concertos, Elinor Frey and Rosa Barocca, carried out by Claude Lapalme
- De la cour de Louis XIV à Shippagan! Chants traditionnels acadiens et airs de cour du XVIIe siècle, Suzie LeBlanc, Marie Nadeau-Tremblay, Vincent Lauzer, and Sylvain Bergeron
Cellist Elinor Frey holds levels from McGill, Mannes, and Juilliard, and adds gambist and researcher to her CV. She has an extensive recording heritage on the Belgian label Passacaille as very well as Analekta, created in collaboration with leading artists and scholars.
Led by conductor Claude Laplame, Rosa Barocca is an Alberta-dependent orchestra devoted to historically-informed performance of Baroque songs on time period devices.
Classical composition of the year
- An Over-all Augmented Perception of Nicely-becoming, Anthony Tan
- Bestiary I & II, Bekah Simms
- The Black Fish, Keyan Emami
- Prayers for Ruins, Nicole Lizée
- Supervillain Études, Vincent Ho
Toronto-primarily based composer Bekah Simms has generated do the job in a range of media, which include commissions for Esprit Orchestra, and Duo Concertante, among many others. Her pieces have been done by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, and showcased in the RCM’s 21C Competition.
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees.
Get the day-to-day arts news straight to your inbox.